It is natural to feel nervous when starting a new relationship, but you can deal with extreme dating anxiety at some point. This feeling often prevents people from enjoying communication with a partner and revealing their own individuality in a proper way. Thus, if you are at the early stages of dating anxiety and want to put the end to it, then keep reading to find out effective ways from experts.
What is Dating Anxiety and Its Reasons?
Some people feel too nervous when stepping into the dating stage. According to dating anxiety meaning, this feeling may make a person leave the stage and stop dreaming about a healthy bond. Instead of having a good time, you focus on plenty of other things that finally destroy all your plans. In case of severe dating anxiety, it is possible to admit a few main reasons:
- One of dating anxiety symptoms is concern about the way you look. In other words, you think that your appearance is not good enough. You should be taller or shorter, slimmer or fatter. You are sure that another person is looking for a supermodel and no personal quality means more than the length of your hair or the size of your ears.
- Negative experience. Dating anxiety after divorce or a long-term commitment is a quite common issue today. Associations with pain and negative experience do not let you relax and give at least a small chance to a new acquaintance.
- Personality disorder. Some people have a low level of self-esteem. Therefore, they are afraid of being judged and not accepted. You can take any dating anxiety test to find out whether it is true for you.
- Fear to be rejected. There are no guarantees that a particular person will be your perfect match. Most people realize it, therefore, they have a fear to be rejected. But what if not? What if this is your great chance to become happy?
- It may be difficult to believe, but yes. There are a few phobias that may cause dating anxiety. Among them are philophobia (fear of a new connection), genophobia (fear of sex), etc.
How to Get Over Dating Anxiety?
If you notice excessive worries, muscle tension, sweating, and difficulties with focusing your attention, then it is high time to confess “I have dating anxiety”. The next step should be reading effective ways to cope with the situation and start enjoying dating for 100%.
1. Explore relaxation methods
While dealing with dating anxiety, it is essential to have some helpful options to overcome existing worries. You can try any of the breathing exercises, or start a meditation experience. No matter what option you choose, the most important is to feel calm and ready for new romantic adventures.
2. Work at your self-esteem
You can’t enjoy the company of another person until you fully accept yourself. Stop thinking that you are not good enough for a healthy relationship and happy connection. Admit your weak points and work at them. Forgive yourself for not being perfect and focus your attention on your advantage. Luckily, there are plenty of practices to improve your self-esteem, and thus, get rid of dating anxiety.
3. Set your boundaries
Setting the boundaries is strongly connected with a previous point. Moreover, it will help you maintain a good mental state of mind. This way, you will decrease expectations related to a dating experience, as well as possible disappointment. Be frank and confess things that you accept and things that you can’t agree with. Finish your communication when you start to feel uncomfortable.
4. Plan your date
Is online dating safe? Many users would like to know about it. Probably, online dating anxiety is one of the most common issues these days. You can diminish your worries if you incorporate pre-date planning. Don’t be afraid of participating in arranging the meeting. Admit your likes and dislikes. Choose the place that you also will be comfortable at. You can offer separate transportation if this will let you feel more confident and safe.
5. Enjoy the moment
Once you have admitted dating anxiety texting, worked on your self-esteem, and set important boundaries, you can feel more relaxed. No one knows what will happen in a minute. Therefore, instead of worrying and thinking about whether a particular meeting could end successfully, you’d better enjoy the moment. After all, every person in your life has some mission no matter whether they enter it for a long period of time or not.
The Last Word
Plenty of people feel anxious when meeting someone new. Unfortunately, these emotions may negatively affect your dating experience and ruin all expectations. Knowing how to deal with dating anxiety will help you cope with the situation, and start enjoying the moment. If you can’t overcome the related worries on your own, then it is reasonable to approach a specialist. A therapist will tell you how to calm dating anxiety and make your romantic experience both useful and pleasant.